German Shepherds Forum banner

Recommendations for a breeder

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DobbyDad 
#1 ·
I'm not looking to get a puppy any time soon, but I would like to start looking at breeders to find one that I would like to use when the time comes.
My show line long haired ( over-sized) boy passed last year at 13. He had way too much coat, and was much, much to large for the standard( 30 inch at shoulder) . I very much like to be a single dog home and I have an 8 year old Rottie that will need to pass on before I consider a puppy.

I think I am wanting to go with a companion working line GSD. I prefer the darker colors( black sable/ or black). I am a runner and would love a partner for running, but live in Texas so he has to be heat tolerant ( at least to run in the wee hours of the morning ). My male had a great temperament and was extremely smart, and I am looking for those qualities as well. I don't mind an active dog, he will come to work with me ( vet tech) and to the barn when I ride( again, needs to tolerate heat well) but should not tear up the house if he misses a jog with me .I'd like something every so slightly more drivey then my show male but not crazy( I know that is hard to measure).Max size for a male 80 pounds+/-

Not interested in breeding , but i have done OB in the far distant past so I do want AKC.

I don't care where the breeders are located, as I can either ship the right puppy or fly/drive to pick him up when the time is right .

again i think I want to look at the working lines more then the show lines, but I am open to anything that is going to be the good fit.

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd look closer to you because of the climate and acclimation....Germelhaus adn Triple Crown both breed working lines, are in Texas and should have pups running the gamit of drive

Your desired size is within the standard - so should not be an issue

Lee

#4 ·
I have a black GSD and live in East Texas. You will need to do a LOT of conditioning to the climate (assuming yours is strictly indoors as mine is) if you are going to want to run with the dog once it's an adult.

#5 ·
i appreciate the names and i will look into them. I think you nailed it with suggesting a breeder who is in the same climate, that totally makes sense. I'd like to see that the parents are heat tolerant as well. Because I am a Vet tech I see a lot of heat stroke ( tho most are due to owner ignorance/neglect).
Galathiel I am worried about the amount of conditioning that might be needed, but frankly I don't like to run in the heat either so I am normally out and back by 8am ;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.