German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Crate Training question/help!
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
klhaley25

Default Crate Training question/help!

Hello all, this is my first post. I have a 9 week old gs puppy, we've now had him for 3 weeks. When we crate him at night and during the day when we're gone he whines all night. I knew he would for the first several nights, but it has been 3 weeks now with no relief. When i feed him, I will put his bowl at the back of the kennel and he will go all the way in and eat with no problems, but when he's locked in it and we leave he starts his whining/barking the entire night.

Also, he has been doing fairly well with potty training as long as I keep a close eye on him, but when he is crated at night he seems to have no problem peeing inside the crate (the crate is the appropriate size for his age, just big enough for him to stand and turn around). During the night I will wake up several times throughout the night to take him outside to potty (generally every 2 hours,but sometimes less), but then sometimes in between me waking up to give him a break, he has already peed in his crate. There are days when he is crated during the day for 8 hrs at a time while we're away at work and he surprisingly manages to hold it the entire day somedays, other days aren't so lucky.

So i'm just wondering if there's a way to get him to stop peeing in crate even when I wake up every 2 hrs OR LESS to give him a break. (It's exhausting lol) And also anyway to get him to stop whining the entire time he is crated...like I said, it's been 3 weeks with no relief.
Thanks for any help!
klhaley25 is offline   Reply With Quote