German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Update! Also, cat question!
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Caitlin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin
Default Update! Also, cat question!

Hello all! It's been a busy summer for us so far.

Firstly, we moved. Not to another city, actually just a mile and a half north of our old place in DC to a new apartment. It's AMAZING. Central air and heat (haven't had that since 2010), real fancy appliances, huge ceilings, a skylight, a few custom blackboard walls you can write on, a jacuzzi bathtub, private balcony, hardwood floors throughout, I mean this place has the works.

Secondly, our Akita we adopted has turned out to be an AWESOME dog. He is just a big baby. I am still not sure how old he is, the shelter said he was 2, my vet said between 1 and 2, and lots of our friends think he has more growing to do but I just think he's a small Akita (80 lbs). We did find out the hard way that he is a total counter surfer/ trash eater when we're gone. So we bought locking trashcans (lifesavers) and just keep the counter clear. When we were moving he ate an entire bag of coffee grounds, and then threw it all up.

Here he is chilling in our new place while the hubby cooks:

Getting picked up by the only one of our friends who can pick him up:

Checking out the balcony with our cat:

Exploring Rock Creek Park a couple of days ago:

I still miss having a GSD and definitely plan on getting one later down the road, but I do love my Akita.

Third, we gave away our other cat. The kitten we named Rhaegar. When we adopted him we lived with a roommate (my hubby's best friend) and that little cat bonded to our roommate way more than with us, and they sort of fell in love. After a month of deliberation before we moved we decided to let him keep him (he has asked to keep him multiple times but I had been unsure). I just didn't want to tear them apart. That little cat follows him EVERYWHERE like a puppy. At least he is with one of our friends so I can keep track of him, plus I can sleep easy knowing he'll never be outdoors or abandoned. I miss him but I feel like it was the right decision.

Fouth, and this is my "cat question" our older cat that we've had for years attacks our Akita every single time I play with him. Does anyone know why he is doing this? It started happening before we moved so I don't think it's moving stress. He used to do the same thing to Mali (our GSD) when I would clip her toenails and she would whine and lightly nip at me. Now every single time I "play rough" with our Akita he runs over growling and bites our Akita on his butt or back legs and grabs him. Our Akita never reacts, just lowers his tail, looks scared, and stops playing and a quick "NO!" towards the cat gets him to go away. I really want to know why he is doing this. Any ideas? It's annoying, I'd like to play with the dog without interference.

Thanks!

Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

caitlindwarf

Last edited by Caitlin; 07-11-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote