German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Exercise and water before/after eating
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ace GSD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odins_raven View Post
We have heard a couple horror stories about GSD pup's stomachs flipping and it killing them from either exercising too much before/after eating or letting them drink a lot of water after eating since the kibble expands in their stomach.

I have a couple questions i'd like to get some feedback on:

1. Do i need to limit exercise before/after eating? If so, for how long?
2. Do i need to limit water intake before/after eating?

Our pup is 10 weeks old and we have been feeding him 1.25-1.5 cups once in the morning and then again at night. However, starting today i am going to switch this up to 1.25 cups in the AM, half cup at lunch, 1.25 cups for dinner. We have our first vet appt. next week for him to get his second round of puppy shots so hopefully the vet can let us know if his weight is good and how much we should be feeding him.

Our breeder said you should be able to feel his ribs but not see them, and he should have a waistline. We are a little concerned because sometimes you can see his ribs a little bit (sometimes he sort of sucks his stomach in when eating/drinking and this is when they are somewhat visible) but in other body positions you don't see his ribs at all. He also has a defined waist line. Attached is a pic of him from Monday (7/7/14) but its not the best angle. He is a little ball of energy so i don't think he's severely lacking food or he would be lazy all the time. Do you think we are feeding him enough?
Good question and im looking forward to hear the answer too hahha.. adorable puppy btw