German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Paranoid about Parvo
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
McWeagle

Default Paranoid about Parvo

I'll be getting my puppy in 2 weeks, and his breeder is taking the entire litter today for their first exam and vaccinations. They were born May 26 so are 6.5 weeks old right now. I have a lot of parvo questions for you all!

I've been reading about parvo and am starting to get a bit paranoid. I've read that shots before the age of 7.5 are basically useless because the mother's immunity protects them, and I've read that you could/should start shots at around 5.5 weeks. Which is right?

From what I've heard, you should do the booster shots 4 weeks apart, right? In my case that would be at 10.5 and 14.5 weeks, right? Or should they be done sooner than that?

Also, I know that puppies don't have full immunity until their 3rd round of shots and should stay out of high dog-traffic areas. The problem is that I live in a very small town where most people have dogs and a lot of people let their dogs just roam the town. I'd say about 20-30% of the doggie population is allowed to roam freely. And I'm guessing that most of these roaming dogs aren't vaccinated on a regular basis. Should I be worried about taking my puppy for walks out and about in town, before he's had the final booster shot? Or should I be okay in all but the most doggie-trafficked areas?

We didn't have any problems with our current dog, and we weren't as aware of parvo at the time and pretty much took her everywhere.
McWeagle is offline   Reply With Quote