German Shepherds Forum banner

Tips for Learning to Walk Loosh Leash

869 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  simba405 
#1 ·
My 4 month GSD seems to walk loosh leash in the city, and if I give a correction by saying "No pulling" or "Nah ah", she immediately comes into line, which I follow with "Good girl."

If she goes to a high distraction area (e.g. outside farmer's market, forest trail, etc), she will pull at the leash repeatedly despite repeated corrections.

What has worked for you to get your dog to consistently walk loosh leash despite most distractions? Or does it come slowly as she gets older?

#2 ·
bring treats.. hold them in hand close to your chest over the pups head.. to keep her attention on you.. keep talking to her "good girl" "yeah thats it", etc give them to her as shes giving you her attention.. when it gets real high distractions make a word "look" "to me" etc.. and make her look at you and treat her..practice makes perfect so keep calm :)

thats what helped..helping me and varick!

#4 ·
My 4 month GSD seems to walk loosh leash in the city, and if I give a correction by saying "No pulling" or "Nah ah", she immediately comes into line, which I follow with "Good girl."
Remember that she's a baby. It's very difficult for her to focus on a specific behavior (walking quietly on a loose leash) for a long period of time. Add some really cool distractions and she wants to investigate! It's her nature.

You could train her by use of corrections. Getting a harsher collar, etc. Which might prove to be the quickest way to train her.

You could start rewarding (with treat, praise, toy or a combination of all three) more often when she is in the correct position. Let her know what behavior you expect while she is in that correct behavior. Call it something "Walk nice" "Quiet" "To Me" and reward often. Have a command that allows her to go investigate. Something like "go see" . And allow her to investigate.

Don't make walks all about training and work. Give her a chance to dust off her brain and burn some of that energy. Don't expect perfection, she's a baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.