German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dog Reacting to the Unexpected
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yoshi

Default Dog Reacting to the Unexpected

Today I was just telling a story of my late dog, Astro, and how one time I believe that he was acting pretty defensive. Whether it was just fearfulness or he was just being naturally defensive I am not sure, but at the time it was comical and when I remember it I smile anyway.

The story is is that we had a routine where my dog and I would walk to the stables on our farm. He was off leash. There's this ditch where the run off water flows to the dam and on top of the ditch one day the tractor bucket was left there. It never used to be there before. When Astro saw it he froze, the fur on his back rose a little, and he uttered a short deep, gruff bark, then he charged toward the bucket to investigate. I just kept walking, keeping a close eye on him, and yes, I did giggle a bit. As soon as he reached it and sniffed it he relaxed and pranced back to me, all satisfied with himself. He was a couple of months short from being two years old.

So was he being fearful and nervy, or was he just reacting naturally to something that was different to his environment/routine?

I recovered some photos of him but it's not great quality, sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
Dog Reacting to the Unexpected-1460227_263076663843084_183262766_n.jpg   Dog Reacting to the Unexpected-858893_159375030879915_1738932698_o.jpg  
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote