German Shepherds Forum banner

extra finger

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Maxil 
#1 ·
hello again, my puppy has an extra finger at her right back leg I didn't really care much and a vet told me that's a good thing not a bad thing but i visited my fathers friend he is a vet and he said he will remove it next week because it might harm her legs in the future what do you guys think?
he also said parvo is highly spread all over Egypt and he will give my puppy a 4th vaccination is that ok?

#2 ·
Your vet knows more about Parvo in Egypt than the majority of the people on this forum. I would listen to him. The extra finger is called a dew claw. Dew claws are an extra digit on the hind legs, located farther up on the paw than the other claws, kind of like the front feet. Those are not dew claws and should remain.

Different breeds have rear dew claws in their standards, and some have double rear dew claws in their standards. GSDs hind legs should not have a dew claw, and if they do, they should be removed. The reason for this, is that they can snag something down the line and be torn/injured etc. It is up to you really. The breeder should have removed them in the first couple of days before the nervous system was complete, and it could have been done with a minimum of pain and inconvenience.

If you are planning on spaying or neutering your dog, taking off the dew claw at that time might be the best way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.