German Shepherds Forum banner

Crazy cat

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
We got new neighbors a month or two ago and they have 2 cats. Ive seen the black cat walk up to our sliding door and taunt Apache, I dont want her to eat the cat though so I say stuff like be nice.
Tonight I threw her orbee ball in the backyard and made her stay until released. The cat ran up on her orbee ball and guarded it!!! We walked towards it with Apache on leash and barking and the cat stood its ground and arched up! It was ridiculous that we cant get her ball from a cat, but I dont want her killing it either...

#2 ·
Sometimes it's better that a cat hold it's ground than run. IME a cat that runs gets chased and potentially 'eaten' whereas a cat that holds it's ground gets barked at and can swat.

My dogs don't know what to do if a cat rolls over and plops or arches. Whereas a cat that runs my dogs want to chase...

#3 ·
I agree with Zeeva. I also think that kitty would have reacted differently if your Apache had not been on her leash. Cats love to tease . I guess you will need to be armed with a water pistol to get the ball back next time :)

#4 ·
Is your yard fenced? That tends to keep my neighbors cat out of the yard.

#6 ·
Some of those cats are tough.we have a cat lady at the end of our cul de sac. There's about 20 feral cats that live there. When Dex was about a year old he chased a cat to her house and was immediately confronted by 5 hissing and spitting feral cats. He's never seen that before and had no idea what was going on. He tried to smell one and got scratched. Dex couldn't get his butt home fast enough.

I've found, if the cats don't run Dex will usually bark and try to smell them. If they run its on., but he's never tried to bite any of them. He hasn't grown up around cats but he has grown up around the possums that infiltrate our yard at night. He seems to think nosing them is the way to kill them as they drop to the ground when he corners them. Then he runs around the backyard doing his triumph dance. We usually have my son get gloves and put he possum in the front yard so they can leave when they wake up. If my sons not home we bring the dogs inside. No way am I picking up a possum. I'd rather confront a cat. Try taking a broom to scare the cat away from your dogs ball, that's if the cat doesn't see it as another toy. Lol

#8 ·
:) "Copy cat" that's where the expression came from. Cats will do sometimes do that. Once during a cold icy winter day, I was practicing indoor heeling with my dog - the cat watched and started to heel - did it better than the dog !

#10 ·
I do not mean to offend anyone but I hate cats. They creep me out. A few months ago there was a cat that LIVED in my yard. I have found it sleeping behind my house a few times and it stole Alice's food and treats which I used to keep on a cabinet beside my barbecue set. I even screamed once when it ran my way after seeing me. It still comes here occasionally but no longer stays here probably because Alice has chased after it more than once. Can't blame her, it did bully her when she was a terrified 3 month old puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.