German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Early Puppy Vaccination Schedule?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Andrea1214

Default Early Puppy Vaccination Schedule?

Looking for feedback on this...is it safe for a new puppy to have her 3 rounds of shots done on a earlier schedule than normal?

We've heard the ideal vaccination schedule is 8 weeks, 11 weeks, 14 weeks.

Is it safe to do 6 1/2 weeks, 8 weeks, 11 weeks and an extra round at 15 weeks?

Situation...My husband and I planned a camping trip for August 30th-Sept 1st and it was based around us getting our puppy mid-July because we'd have all 3 rounds of shots done prior to leaving. Due to health issues the breeder had to put the puppy down, so we were switched to a different litter from a different breeder. Now we have a puppy coming to us on August 9th (she will be 8 weeks old plus a few days). We asked the breeder if we should cancel/reschedule our trip and she said we could probably do an early vaccination schedule instead, but also said to be VERY careful to not allow her near other dogs, places where dogs are constantly walking thru, etc. She gave LOTS of warnings, but in the end seemed ok with the early vaccination schedule.

Am I overreacting to think this could still harm the puppy? Or since she'll technically have all 3 rounds prior to camping plus an extra round after we get back will she still be safe?

Canceling or rescheduling is not a problem...so honest feedback please.

Thanks!
Andrea
Andrea1214 is offline   Reply With Quote