German Shepherds Forum banner

Behavioral Issues

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
I was hoping someone could help my wife and I out with our GS Dillon. Dillon is currently 9 mos. old and is beginning to develop some behavioral issues. We walk him every day, take him to dog parks for socialization, doggie daycare and he's even been through the 1st level of obedience training.

Despite that he still jumps on furniture, chews furniture and clothing, rips up the rugs, sprints throughout the house banging into walls and other objects. Additionally during walks he goes absolutely insane when passing by other dogs and it takes all my strength to keep hold of him. Not only is it pretty embarrassing but could potentially be dangerous

I've seen the sit on your dog video and tried that but he would not calm down at all and even started biting me. I had to finally give that up after 40 minutes of trying.

Bottom line is we're at our wits end with him and need some advice on how to best proceed with training etc. Any input is welcome.

#2 ·
Have you gone to a trainer? He sounds bored. He needs to learn and understand that there are rules and failure to follow rules results in discipline. But it needs to be clear to him.

He should be crated when unsupervised. That way he can't eat furniture.

You are hitting the "teenage" stage. This can be a tough age. Stick with it, get with a good trainer, create rules and stick to them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I agree with gsdsar; it sounds like he sounds like he needs a way to burn off a lot more energy. A tuckered-out dog is a content dog with a content human family. Is he crate trained? Have you tried bitter apple spray on the furniture? It's a band-aid solution, but it might buy you some sanity while you get to the root of the problem. Some dogs love the taste, though.

#5 ·
Dexter the border collie was one heck of a pup, especially when he was nearing the dreaded teenage stage. We exercised him a heck of alot more and even so he still chewed the wall and carpet, so we crated him everytime he did it, does Dillon like balls? maybe if he does you can distract him with his ball when you pass other dogs. Dillon like all dogs will start pushing limits, most times a great trainer can be the golden ticket.

#6 · (Edited)
Every time he chews something he's not supposed to, "no" and give him an appropriate chew toy. Avoid wooden and rope-like toys because they feel too much like carpets, furniture and walls. Hard rubber toys like KONG products are best. Don't punish - redirect. If he's food-motivated, try a treat-dispensing puzzle toy. Give him raw bones (not cooked, and not the bones you can get from the pet store - these all splinter and break off in chunks that he can't digest, and they may cause a blockage). A KONG stuffed with peanut butter, especially frozen, is a great way to keep them occupied as well.

As far as exercise goes, take him swimming at lakes and beaches as much as possible and play lots of ball. Better yet, throw the ball into the water to wear him out physically and mentally. Play groups with other dogs his age will help as well. Give him a "job" like volunteering in an animal-assisted therapy class (he won't be the only hyper puppy!) or earning his Canine Good Citizen certificate. Avoid taking him on controlled runs. A pup his age, especially a large breed prone to joint issues, shouldn't be going on long runs. Try to keep him off had surfaces like pavement for now, too; grass is much easier on their joints. It's recommended to hold off on letting a GSD go on long runs until they're 18 months old.

This is just my advice. All my experience has been with GSD mixes (including a GSD/wolf mix, which was tough)... so you should take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm an experienced dog "guardian," but I haven't had a purebred GSD before, just rescues.

#7 ·
When you walk him is there any running, chasing balls, or jumping jumps along the way. By jumps I mean fallen logs etc. He needs some excitement to wear him out I think. At that young age lots of energy is needed to match his. You might consider setting up some short jumps - 16 inches at the most. It uses up a lot of energy to do the jumps right. I also set up cones for weaving and other interesting things like a tunnel to run through. I also run laps around the back yard stopping and turning suddenly with Raina heeling at my side. She loves that part, especially the part where I turn suddenly and switch directions. We both get a work out so I get my cardio and she gets her excitement.

#8 ·
My golden was like this when he was younger and up to about a month ago(he just turned a year at the end of May). I did obedience training with him continually for 9 months. He was just very high energy. As of last week he is no longer in his crate and he got his CGC today. He is a completely different dog and people can't believe he is just over a year and so calm and well behaved. He was more work then both GSD's put together. If you aren't in training classes I suggest you start and keep going, eventually it clicks.

#9 ·
He's been through one training class (6 weeks) and is slated for another on later this month. I was thinking about getting him some one on one training in the meantime to help out. I guess I need to up his exercise as well as the walks might not be enough from I'm reading.

#11 ·
One other thing, if you have a fenced yard, don't rely on that for his exercise and just go for a walk now and then. Pretend like that's just his bathroom, nothing more. Many, if not most, dogs get little to no mental stimulation from their own yard and need to go on walks - especially walks around unfamiliar territory - to work their minds.

#12 ·
Definitely get him into another class. One on one is great, but none of it makes a difference if you are not working on it at home. 10 minutes 3x a day, will make a world if difference.

Mind work will tire them out quicker than walking. Engage their mind!!! Does he have a favorite toy? Hold him while a family member hides it, let him find it. Make the hides harder and harder.

Take his dinner, throw it in the yard, make him search for it. Get creative. Join a Nose Works, barn hunt, agility, fly ball class. GSD need more than once a week engagement in a structured class. It needs to become a way of life.

#14 ·

As already stated some very great advice. I have a 17 month old gsd with a very huge drive like most german shepherds and herding dogs. I dont know if anyone likes ceaser milan but my mom actually gave me a dvd and I watched when my gsd BRUCE was only 2 months old. My mom never watched them and I honestly thought when I seen title that he talked to dogs. Hahaha. Still get a laugh out of that. It was a lifesaver. The biggest things I took out of his show is 1st, dogs live in the now. So if u wake up tommorrow and become calm and assertive, and I mean no tense body movements or with ur voice, and even though your dog will be wary at first, when he sees youve brought down ur frustration and tense reactions, which im sure you will catch yourself doing, he will become a very calm dog that listens under any distractions. You will really click with your dog and you guys become something special, dont even know what to call it, but when I did it with bruce it has become so much more fun and enjoyable for everything. What really made it happen was the 2nd thing you can work on with him. Eye contact. Ots what really connects you to your dog in my opinion. If you can get your dogs eyes on you whenever you ask your gonna have a very good dog under any circumstance. I got a little creative because bruce is very stubborn and has a great drive like I previously mentioned. I bought pvc electrical piping for underground burial of lines and put in ground as weeve poles made some tunnels out of hula hoops and a tarp, some jumps out of pvc, and last a A ramp out of wood. I have tiny yard with pool taking up alot of room, so this makes it fun for him and most importantly teaches him to watch me for which one to do next. It stimulates his kind, practices eye contact, and teaches him to obey you. Now that its gotten routine ive brought in friends dogs for distractions and extended the type of games we play out in public places under 100 foot leash in case he chooses to give in to distractions. Still has alot of work as hes still a pup but im so happy got him goin in right direction to being a great gsd under any circumstamces so he can go almost everywhere my family and I do.

#15 ·
Sorry hit send on accident I finished my novel a

As already stated some very great advice. I have a 17 month old gsd with a very huge drive like most german shepherds and herding dogs. I dont know if anyone likes ceaser milan but my mom actually gave me a dvd and I watched when my gsd BRUCE was only 2 months old. My mom never watched them and I honestly thought when I seen title that he talked to dogs. Hahaha. Still get a laugh out of that. It was a lifesaver. The biggest things I took out of his show is 1st, dogs live in the now. So if u wake up tommorrow and become calm and assertive, and I mean no tense body movements or with ur voice, and even though your dog will be wary at first, when he sees youve brought down ur frustration and tense reactions, which im sure you will catch yourself doing, he will become a very calm dog that listens under any distractions. You will really click with your dog and you guys become something special, dont even know what to call it, but when I did it with bruce it has become so much more fun and enjoyable for everything. What really made it happen was the 2nd thing you can work on with him. Eye contact. Its what really connects you to your dog in my opinion. If you can get your dogs eyes on you whenever you ask your gonna have a very good dog under any circumstance. I got a little creative because bruce is very stubborn and has a great drive like I previously mentioned. I bought pvc electrical piping for underground burial of lines and put in ground as weeve poles made some tunnels out of hula hoops and a tarp, some jumps out of pvc, and last a A ramp out of wood. I have tiny yard with pool taking up alot of room, so this makes it fun for him and most importantly teaches him to watch me for which one to do next. It stimulates his mind, practices eye contact, and teaches him to listen to you. Now that its gotten routine ive brought in friends dogs for distractions and extended the type of games we play out in public places under 100 foot leash in case he chooses to give in to distractions. Still has alot of work as hes still a pup but im so happy got him goin in right direction to being a great gsd under any circumstamces so he can go almost everywhere my family and I do.
3rd like already mentioned, get him In the water. With the joint problems they have its great exercise and burns alot of that puppy energy. Since ive opened my pool Bruce has been rushing us to bed. He gives noises when we stay up later and plops down bedside before im in the bed. Haaha. Thats been the key, along with walks to practice mind stimaltion and controlling his excitement. Its tough but def worth it to have the kind of bond we have. Ill be watching the thread,learning from other advice, and talking to you guys in future. Hope this helps

#16 ·
Good evening all. I am the recent owner of two 4 month old male GSD's. I got received them just short of a week ago and since bringing them to their new home, they have been very scared of me and my family. I am hopeful that they will get accustomed to us soon but after close to a week, they run and hide at the sight of us. Is there anything special I should be doing to get them accustomed to us?? Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

#19 ·
Did a breeder sell you two four month old puppies?

It sounds like the two of them are completely unsocialized. And, in this case two is a mistake. With two of them, they can rely on each other for companionship. A single puppy would have to come to the family, because dogs are pack animals, and they don't like being lonely. So what is happening here is that the dogs seem to have had limited contact with humans, and have each other, and now are not wanting anything to do with you.

Also, there is the possibility if you leave the boys together much longer, that they will become fused together. Meaning that if you try to separate them down the line -- one gets sick and needs to be kept at the vet-clinic, the other will panic. One dies, the other gets terribly depressed and perhaps passes as well.

I think your best course of action would be to return one or both of these boys, if you got them from a breeder. I think the breeder did not do right by you for selling them thus.

4 month old puppies are fine to get from a breeder, don't get me wrong, but they need to have done their part. They need to have exposed them to a variety of people, sights, sounds, etc. And, selling you two of them, well, it is not always a mistake to raise two puppies, but it can be a big mistake.

If you want to keep one or both of these boys, you are not going to like what I am going to suggest. Separate them. Totally. They are way too dependent on the other, and you are likely to have some real trouble down the line. Maybe you can let them play for 10-15 minutes together in the yard each day, maybe more. But they shouldn't be eating together, sleeping together, free access to one another all along.

Sorry, I can't say what you want to hear. But I really don't think this situation is going to just solve itself with time.

#20 · (Edited)
Thank you for your responses. I actually got the boys from a friend of mine, not a breeder, who was looking for new homes for the litter. They are actually brothers from the same litter and have been with each other from birth. I am not quite sure how they were being handled before in terms of abuse, but the way they react would lead me to believe that they are truly terrified of humans. My friend lives in the city, but had the dogs at another home in the rural area and they were being attended to by the care taker of the home. My friend is truly an animal lover and I am sure he would never abuse them, but I don't really now anything about the care taker. I do have one other pet, a Shih Tzu, but he lives in the house and hasn't yet been introduced to the GSD's. I wanted to get them comfortable first before making the introduction, but did not anticipate them taking a week to settle down.

You're right, returning one or both is certainly not something I wanted to hear and I really can't see myself doing that. There must be something else that can be done to make them feel safe and comfortable in their new home. While they do not eat together, they do have free run of the yard and spend the day interacting with each other.

#21 ·
Two dogs are not idea! It can be done but there is a lot to look out for! The most obvious is one on one training. If you always train them together they can/will look to each other for cues!

If they have to go somewhere and they are not together you can easily get an unexpected behaviour or command break! Because one dog never knew the command he was just following his sibling!

It wasn't your plan but this is stuff you should know about your situation:

Leerburg | Raising Two Pups at a Time: Why It's a Bad Idea

And lots of links here post 8 and post 30:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431289-new-dog-very-challenging-3.html

It can be done but not recommend or easy.You could always contact a breed rescue and tell them you can foster in place..just a thought. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.