German Shepherds Forum banner

May not seem like much but........

777 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spiascik 
#1 ·
We've had Zeus for four weeks now, and he is six months old. The guy that we got him from had too much on his plate to work with him properly. So we are working on a lot of things like jumping on counters, chewing, walking on a leash, and not being afraid of strangers. Well I've been taking him out in public to meet strangers since we brought him home. I'll ask somebody if they like dogs, (Pet stores are good for this ;) ) and if they say yes I ask them if they will help me with my shy dog by giving him a treat. I ask if they would kneel down a bit and hand it to him while not being over his head. He has gone from shying away from people like they are going to hit him (!!!) to being much more social. In Petsmart today he went up to the "blue buffalo lady" and wagged his tail, ears held up high and sat and waited for a treat - provided by the rep, lol. I am so proud of him for going from total fear to actually looking forward to meeting strangers!!! :happyboogie: It may be a small step, but definitely one in the right direction!

#2 ·
That is great! I'd take it nice and slow, give him time to adjust to you before you bombard him with too many other people and places. Personally, I wouldn't take him anywhere or let anyone pet him for the next two weeks- but that's just me. He needs to be sure he can trust you to protect him first.

#4 ·
We have been going to puppy classes for four weeks now too. Zeus is very good with the trainer and other people in the class. He looks forward to going now. He is learning to socialize with the other dogs. It is amazing to see how the dogs act differently with each other. There is another GSD, and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Zeus and the other shepherd wrestle each other like crazy, but when the spaniel comes over they automatically act more gentle since he is a more reserved kind of dog. There are two weeks left to the class, but it's only once a week so except for walks we are pretty much home. He's already a Mama's boy for sure though, but at the same time I want to be sure he doesn't develop separation anxiety like our other shepherd has. Isabelle had such bad anxiety when we leave that I've yet to find a crate that can hold her, and once she god out she chewed up the couch or whatever. She has gotten better with time, but it was an awful process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.