German Shepherds Forum banner

Fish heads

12K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Valerae 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a bag of fish heads from my local grocery store. I threw them in my freezer and have been hesitant on feeding them. Bob (10 months) refuses to eat whole sardines so,
1. I'm thinking he will also have an issue eating these
And
2. Do I feed it to him eyes and all?

Thanks everyone!! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#7 ·
I go fishing regularly and give my boy whole fish regularly. The rule I use is if it's a quick growing fish the bones are quite soft. If it's a slow growing fish then they can be quite hard and sharp.
Whilst saying that I would not hesitate giving him any fish head. Just be sure to inspect that there is no hooks lying around. You'd be surprised how many hooks I have found that have not been my own.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
I've been feeding raw for 4 years now. I feed the whole fish, usually frozen Tilapia, but yes, head, eyes, spine, etc. I use wire cutters to remove the large dorsal, pelvic and anal spines in the fins, as I don't want to risk my dogs not being able to digest them. They also are thick and sharp enough that I'm afraid they'll puncture my dog's mouth as they try to chew on them, frozen or thawed. But they get the entire fish otherwise, to include all the organs, etc. Never had a problem, and they love love love raw fish!

#11 ·
I get fish heads and bits from our local fishmonger. I just give them to the dogs frozen. My GSD scarfs it down in 2 seconds.

My mutty plays with his for hours, drags it all over the house, flips it all over the floor and the couch until my GSD can tolerate it no more and scarfs it down, eyes and all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.