German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Board and Train for 6 month old puppy
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
John C.

Default Board and Train for 6 month old puppy

Not sure if this is the right forum - but I'm interested in getting other people's thoughts on this.

We got a puppy about a month ago and have started training at home. Also, have started doing a once weekly puppy obedience class with a local Schutzhund club. I like training and plan to continue doing basic obedience training, hopefully put a BH on my dog and maybe continue doing Schutzhund beyond a basic BH.

This October we are planning to take a two week trip. Our puppy will be about 6 months old. I have a local kennel I can put him in (which I've liked and used before), or I can send him to the breeder, who is also an experienced trainer, has both the puppy's parents on the premises and does have a board and train program.

On the one hand, I do have confidence in this guy as a breeder and a trainer and like the idea that my puppy won't spend the two weeks we're gone just sitting in a kennel. Plus, if he's starting to develop bad habits, maybe the breeder could take some time addressing them.

On the other hand, I have a certain training program I'm following and I don't want to confuse my dog by having him trained by someone whose approach might be different. And I'm not really looking for someone to do basic training with my dog - I view that as my responsibility. Finally, even though I have confidence in the breeder I bought the puppy from, in the back of my mind there is a concern about someone other than me handling/training my dog - particularly when I'm not there to see what's being done.

Interested if others think this is a good idea? A bad idea? A waste of money? (The board and train program will obviously cost more than a simple kennel stay).
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote