German Shepherds Forum banner

Training a 6 Month GSD to walk nicely

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Audie1 
#1 ·
Hi There,
I need some guidance as to how to get my pup to walk alongside me nicely rather than trying to drag me and getting hiself all worked up when im trying to persevere at keeping him alongside me calmly.
PLEASE HELP ME IT DRIVES ME INSANE

#3 ·
for say if im trying to take him for a walk in a park and id like him to walk on one side and not drag me across the park he usually either drags me or goes crazy and tangles me up with the lead. Ive tried to alk with him on a shorter lead and if he pulls to hard doing quick short pulls on the lead and telling him to heel but it just doesn't work at all

#5 ·
You are asking too much of him at this age. Start indoors, no distractions and reward reward reward for a loose leash or for location (ie by your side)...then bring him outside, perhaps your backyard. Then the front yard. Once all of these venues have been mastered, take it on the road...starting at times where you'll have the fewest distractions and work your way up.

Make sure that while your training you are using a super high value reward like chicken or hamburger.

Remember dogs associate learning with location (as well as many other things). Something you've done in your living room 1000 times is a different request in a different location.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
#8 ·
I thought a prong was recommend for grown dogs, no? 6 months is ok?
Opinions vary, but I do believe that a prong collar is much safer than your conventional collars; especially when you have a dog that tugs and strains - it very effectively mitigates strain pressure thus protecting the throat.

Of course, I wouldn't use this collar on an 8-week old pup, but a 6-month old pup should be just fine, as long as it is fitted and used properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.