German Shepherds Forum banner

Kennel cough?

811 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  trcy 
#1 ·
For those of you that followed up on my last thread about animal control taking my baby, well, he came home and 2 days later started coughing, sneezing and had a runny nose. Does anyone know how long this lasts? And should i bring him in to the vet? He wasnt eating before but he is now. What can i do to make him better? As in is there anything i can feed him that'll help? My poor baby. He's not lethargic or anything so thats good.

#3 ·
just keep him hydrated and make sure he is not lethargic or not eating
it usually does not need antibiotics
you can try mucinex dm with no decongestant
dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant and guafinisen is the stuff that brings up mucous
but hydration is most important

#5 ·
I took all three of mine to the vet. The GSD went to the emergency vet, because he got lethargic and refused food and water on a Sunday. Well, that was $300.00. The breeder told me later I could have just given them Robitussin....next time I know.

All three of my dogs had been vaccinated for kennel cough. Apparently there are different strains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.