German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Is it time to let go? What would you do if it were your dog...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Helios

Unhappy Is it time to let go? What would you do if it were your dog...

When do you know it is time to put your dog down? Should I allow my dog to be put down?

I am talking here about my male 12 years old pekingese. He has gone through so much, he was Dx with Cancer at around 5 y/o. Everything went well, the tumor was removed and he received chemo. He has always walked "funny" but since last year he has gotten worse, he barely walks without falling, his rear legs are weaker than ever but he would still walk and get up. There is something wrong with his bite and teeths too (Do not know how it is known in english). We believe he was a really bad cross. My mother bought him at a pet shop when I was a kid, she went for his sister but when my mother saw him, she fall in love with him too... So my mother arrived with two puppies instead of one. Her sister is the opposite, she still walks, runs and jumps.

He's a dog that would still eat and drink... He is a dog that would fall asleep at 9 p.m and sleep until 1 pm next day, wake up to eat, drink, pee and sleep again until his next meal at around 7-8 p.m....

He pretty much spends his days sleeping and so does her sister.

Here is the deal:

A few days ago I noticed a spot near his nose in between his fur, with a little of blood. I started cleaning the place and applying betadine since then....but today the water bowl was full of blood...
I went to check on him and everything was fine...except there were now 3 little holes. I instantly recognized them as worms, I took him to the vet and they were cleaning and taking them out, not only from near the nose but his mouth.......... I do not know how it all happened.
My family and my vet want him to be put down TOMORROW...

I am having a difficult time believing there is nothing we can do for him. I knew the time was coming but I was not expecting this, not like this. The vets offered a surgery but they believe he will not handle it.....

They gave him antibiotics, anti inflammatory....he is not eating since yesterday night. We cannot give him anything but serum....I just gave him which he drank openly....he is sleeping at this moment, he is kind of more OFF than usual....

What would you do in my situation? Would you let him go? What bothers me the most is the fact that they are not giving him any chance....

Helios, 3 YO GSD
Otto, 3 YO Yorkshire
Popi, 12 YO Pekingese
Boni, 12 YO Pekingese

Jessie, 5YO Yorkshire

Last edited by Helios; 07-01-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote