German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Working Homes and Pet Homes
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Packen
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
A discussion came up in a recent thread about working homes and pet homes. I am curious about what makes a pet home and what makes a working home. How much time do you need to spend to count as a working home and are there differences in the dogs you should choose?
Good question, the answer may surprise! I see "pet people" spend a lot more time with their dogs as compared to "working people". I have a few friends that are strictly in the pet category, they walk the dogs in the mornings and the evenings, take them on hikes, swims, group meets, dog dates etc etc. A good average would be 4 hours/day, 28 hours/week. Average working home will spend less time on a daily basis with their dogs.

So if you were to chart the number of hours spent weekly interacting with your dogs the pet people easily beat the working people.
If you chart the number of miles driven weekly, working people go off the charts.
If you chart the engagement level, the working teams are off the charts despite spending lesser time 1 0n 1.

A good analogy would be driving. A regular driver drives every day and a lot more miles as compared to a race car driver. The race car driver drives in small sessions over a closed road course, has much less miles under his belt as compared to the regular driver/commuter. But the experience level of the two and the skill set required is day and night different. The race driver can easily switch into the commuter's role but it is not true the other way around.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote