German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Halo flyball brag! (with pics)
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cassidy's Mom
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Default Halo flyball brag! (with pics)

Three weeks ago our flyball club, Marin Running Riot, hosted a benefit tournament for the Marin Humane Society, which is where we practice each week. At the tournament Halo earned her FMX title (Flyball Master Excellent), for achieving 10,000 points! Halo has been racing for just over 2 years, since April 2012, and she's my first flyball dog so she's been been hampered with a green handler, lol.

That's not a huge amount of points considering that we have two dogs in our club alone that have earned their Hobbes Award for over 100,000 points, but it's a big deal to me. Also, there are not that many GSDs in the sport, and Halo is only the 41st have earned an FMX. She's 332 points shy of earning her MBDCh-G (Multi-Breed Champion-Gold), for 5000 points, which only 31 GSDs have achieved. Multi-Breed teams consist of 4 dogs of different breeds ("mixed" counts as a breed), and earn points for each heat they race on a Multi-Breed team in addition to regular points.

For each heat that all four dogs finish in less than 24 seconds, they earn 25 points, so 10,000 points would be 400 clean heats. Pretty much all flyball dogs are fast enough that if everyone on the team runs clean they'll make time and get the full points, but if any of the dogs have an early pass (the entering dog crosses the start/finish line before the exiting dog does), that dog has to rerun at the end of the lineup, increasing the total time, or forfeit the heat entirely, earning no points. If any dog misses a jump or fails to bring the ball back all the way across the start/finish line, they also have to rerun or forfeit the heat. If the team runs over 24 seconds but under 28 seconds, each dog gets 5 points, over 28 seconds but under 32 seconds it's just one point. Over 32 seconds, no points are earned for the heat.

Here's Halo posing under our team banner after earning her title:

A couple of shots of the field early in the morning before everyone arrived:

MHS is a wonderful facility, and we're so lucky to be able to use this field for practices!

One of the prizes I got for the raffle was a gift certificate for DragonDreams Leather, who make the most beautiful braided leashes. I'd had my eye on one for a long time that was Halo's colors of pink and black, so I was determined to win the prize myself so I could get that leash. Alas, even though I put a ton of tickets in the bag, I did not win, so in celebration of Halo's new title I went ahead and bought it for her. Doesn't it match the rest of her gear perfectly?

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote