German Shepherds Forum banner

Things that only RAW feeders understand

5K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  lauren43 
#1 ·
Someone got upset that I posted on FB about how one time I had nothing to eat for supper so I thawed out some of my dog's food and put it on the BBQ.

She told me I had problems if I only had my dog's food to eat. lol I guess she didn't understand that I simply meant I'd forgotten to get groceries on the way home and didn't feel like making the 30 minute drive back into town.

What can I say, chicken quarters were on sale the week before at the grocery store and I'd stocked up. :blush:

It was delicious after marinading in lime/jalapeno/cilantro marinade and put on the charcoal BBQ with some veggies and a nice glass of sauvignon blanc! :laugh:

Ha ha

#4 ·
:spittingcoffee:

Hans eats veal. I swear, he eats better than we do!

Description (From mypetcarnivore.com)
5 LB. deli container! This product is made from the whole calf with meat, organs and bones together. Artisanally butchered, coarse ground and fresh frozen by Schoenborn Family Farms with optimal nutrition for your pets in mind.
These Michigan cows are 1 - 7 days old, healthy males from dairy stock. They have been milk-fed. Very young meat source makes for softer, more digestible bones. Very, very lean (about 1% fat!).

#9 ·
I get lamb for the dogs directly from the breeder and I get it for significantly cheaper than what they charge at the grocery store. I could just eat theirs. LOL

Something else non raw feeders don't understand is how much thought we put into feeding our dogs. So much easier to just scoop kibble out of a bag.

#10 ·
Haha, I had a customer at the store who came up asking me to tell him how to feed prey model raw because he wanted to feed raw, but the premade was too expensive. His eyes nearly rolled into the back of his head when I talked to him about figuring out a proper nutrient profile for my dog and cobbling it together out of the meats, bones, and organs available to me as well as filling out any possible gaps with supplements. And of course trialing different supplements, meats, and combinations to see which ones had the best effects. And then just the general figuring out which proportions worked best for my dog and butchering and packaging groups of meat to fill those portions.

He was flabbergasted that I would go through so much trouble finding meat and that there wasn't just a "meat store" that sold everything I needed. :rolleyes: Nooot so much.

Needless to say, he stuck with his dry food. If he had actually been serious, I would have spent more time with him. But apparently he was more just trying to show off that he had a vague idea of what a raw diet was.

#13 ·
Oh, I definitely made it sound much more complicated than it actually is. I was more irritated that he was trying to be impressive or astound me with his faint knowledge of a dog food buzz word. "Making a nutrient profile" more just meant I occasionally check my planned meals to make sure I have enough food that say, provides vitamin D or enough antioxidants. I just made it sound fancy because he was annoying me. :)

#14 ·
Depends on the dog.

some people are afraid of feeding bones, and worried about balancing the meals properly. Prepared is another option and much better than kibble.

Also, it's a better choice for dogs who don't chew properly and gulp.

I feed both, mostly feed whole, but I get some grinds and premade too :)

#31 ·
Yeah, on FB. Ok, the person isn't mad, but they made a comment about the meat you buy at grocery stores being full of hormones, antibiotics and "god knows what"

I mean, how many people can really afford to feed grass fed, organic, free range to their dogs.

It would be nice, and I try to do that when I can, but really?

#34 ·
Today my husband made a horrific discovery:"There is dog food in our freezer!" "Don't worry honey, it is all human grade". "Yes, but is says dog food!"
The kind of label makes it suitable or not evidently. Next I'll label it what it is: chicken, pork, etc. Then prepare it the way for who ever needs it.
But they do have their own freezer for the specific dog stuff: raw tripe, gullets etc.

#37 ·
Dog food has not been the worst he has seen in the freezer: deceased baby birds when I worked for wildlife and I had to bring them back to the center a couple of days later on my shift, dead pet mice and pet rats until I found a suitable time/spot to bury them. He is still learning that it won't kill him.

#38 ·
I have a frozen rabbit in the freezer for my adult boa, I think my bf is all but used to it now. Although he did ask me last night 'are you going to feed that rat to the snake tonight?' - we are having a house party tomorrow and I think he is concerned about his friends finding a thawed rat sitting beside their beer in the fridge haha. Meh - meat is meat to me.

#41 ·
Another raw story: During hunting season I ask for the trimmings and carcasses of deer and moose from my friends and co-workers that hunt.

One of the guys at work brought in three deer carcasses for me, but I had my care in the shop that day, and he assumed that I wasn't in when he did not see my van in its usual parking spot. I work in a different building than him, so he didn't see me all day, still thinking I wasn't in. Not wanting to keep the bags of trimmings and bones in the back of his truck, he threw them in the dumpster.

Just before quitting time, I run into him, and he is shocked to see me, tells me about the three garbage bags of deer trimmings and bones he threw out.

HE THREW THEM OUT!!!

So the next day, I show up with a step stool, extra large bags, disposable gloves, and pull the bags out of the garbage! Temps were cool at this time, the bags were still pristine, and so things weren't spoiling yet.

So there ya go! I went dumpster diving at work for deer bones!

#44 ·
YES. I was repackaging some back stocked meat and left a good portion of it in the sink to defrost. Got distracted and went outside. I came back in to find Kaiju had stolen THREE ENTIRE beef livers and devoured them. I was tempted to duct tape a bucket to his butt for the next couple of days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.