German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Questions: Lepto Vaccine & Neutering (for Anxiety)
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Squeetie

Default Questions: Lepto Vaccine & Neutering (for Anxiety)

I have two questions for you guys and gals:

1. We live in a suburban area of north Texas and recently discovered that we have a rat problem in our back yard (well, mostly in our neighbor's yard but they don't seem to care and the rats are readily coming into our trees, climbing on the fence, and getting into our yard). I have seen multiple rats out at the same time, but it's impossible to know exactly how many we're dealing with. We are in the process of trying to get rid of them, but DH is concerned about possible Leptospirosis transfer to the dogs (an almost 13 y/o and an almost 2 y/o) because both pups have been interested in areas the rats have been. I wasn't planning on giving them the Lepto shot ever again, but wanted to see what you guys think in this situation.

2. My trainer has recommended neutering Red, saying it may help with his anxiety. He is (almost) approximately 2 years old and we have been working with this trainer for the last 6 months or so (LOVE her!). He is much better than he used to be, but still gets very worked up around other dogs - not in a reactive way, just whining and nervous energy when over threshold (teeth chattering, wide eyes, stress panting, etc.). I've had to stop letting him tinkle there because he salivates excessively when he sniffs where other dogs have urinated and gets so distracted. I know this is the "right" age to do it if we're going to, but I just don't want to regret neutering him if it's "unnecessary". I know neutering Red does not guarantee that his anxious energy will be reduced, but do y'all think it may help? (Regardless, if we decide to neuter him or not, I will continue to work with him on his anxiety and obedience with our wonderful trainer, so please don't think I'm considering it just to "fix" him and be done with it.)

Thank you in advance for any advice you have!
Squeetie is offline   Reply With Quote