German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Perfecting the "hier"?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tulip

Question Perfecting the "hier"?

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or under the Schutzhund/IPO board... so feel free to move it if necessary .

Anyways, I've been working on some basic obedience with my 2 year old GSD while we look for a club, and one of the things I've been training him is the "hier" command. He's pretty good about it... close up and on a leash anyway. Should I use more enticing treats than his regular food (which I usually use right before his second feeding of the day for obedience training since he's hungry and loves his regular dog food) and a longer leash or have someone hold on to him from a longer distance and release him when I give the command?

Also, I know he's supposed to be very close to me when he sits in front of me for the hier. What can I do to get him to sit closer to me? He's not too far from me, but I'd just like him closer and have it more perfected. My trainer at PetCo (we are doing a CGC prep/basic obedience class) told me I should take a step toward him before treating him so he knows how close he should be to me, but I was thinking of just trying to lure him a bit closer with the treat before I give it to him instead? Idk, just seems like a better idea to make him do the work, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

Thanks for reading!
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote