Terrified that our 6 mo old has HD
We are going to call our vet today to see if we can go in this week and have Hans evaluated and sent for x-rays. There are just too many things that are coming together that make me really fear he has HD...and given his age that it might be bad.
- he's always been cow hocked but as he gets older he's more swaying/loosey-goosey in the back and I thought if anything this would go away...wasn't worried initially as he is a show line and has pretty extreme rear angulation.
- he bunny hops when he runs fast, now it's not as horrible as some videos I've seen in that his back legs do actually hit the ground at slightly different times but still looks very much like a bunny hop.
- after running around a lot, usually when playing with another dog or puppy, he basically just comes home and collapses and needs a LONG time to recover.
- he is VERY slow to get up, basically pulls himself up by his front legs and the back ones struggle.
- he started frog sitting a couple of weeks ago and he never used to do that.
- his back legs/hips are very boney while his chest is super wide/well-developed.
- he never jumps up on the couch or into the car, rather he goes up with his front legs and then tries to climb in with the back.
Obviously very worried about all this. He goes up the stairs without any issues and he does jump up on the kitchen counter to try to grab food or on us when we come home from work. As he's reached 6 months he's kind of become the perfect puppy, really, very calm, sleeps a lot, not hyper, etc. He is about 57 lbs at 6 months but he is tall and thin, the way I've wanted to keep him as we've been doing puppy agility. He eats premium food, he gets a bunch of raw supplemented as well, we carried him up the stairs until he was 4.5-5 months old, he mostly walks off leash so he's never been forced to exercise or anything like that. He's from a great breeder and his parents have excellent hips...so scared that we did everything right and it might not have mattered!
Just bracing myself for the worst here...we do have a warranty but there is no chance we're returning him, he's our baby.
Rough Collies - King (01/1994-01/2002) and Samson (2/14/2002-3/30/2014) - too good for this world
GSD - Hans (12/31/2013)