German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Wolf Hybrid maybe
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
wolfy dog
Crowned Member

Wolf Hybrid maybe

We rescued a Husky wolf hybrid stray from traffic on a hot HWY yesterday. It was a narrow escape for him. He was trotting on the shoulder on hot pavement and stopped when I called him and to my great surprise he came. Thanks to people living along the road who stopped traffic, and the drivers who stopped, I was able to slip a martingale over his neck and he willingly jumped in the car next to my crated DDog, who didn't react at all (*proud, proud of my pup). I was pleasantly surprised. It was the sweetest, calmest dog ever. No signs of shyness, abuse or aggression, travels nicely and appreciated being driven in a cool (as in temperature) car. A neutered male, appr. 5 years old. Definite plenty of wolf in him but in his behavior I couldn't detect it. He was well fed, moderately neglected (long nails, dirty ears and a dull coat)
I took him to a shelter where he was identified with a chip. They were legally required to take him so I couldn't take him home. So far hasn't been claimed. I put a hold on him for fostering and possibly adopting him if things go well here. It clicked instantly and I miss him now.
I realize you have to be careful what to ask for; I have always admired the hybrids but never pursued one due to the hybrid issues and the small chance of finding one that will be mostly "dog" in behavior.
I am zigzagging between excitement and feeling "OMG, don't do anything stupid".
I'll leave it up to the universe or whoever is in charge of this stuff.

Deja, GSD, sable WL, female, born 11 / 2013
Cam, Rough Collie, sable, male, born 8/2015

Last edited by wolfy dog; 06-22-2014 at 06:19 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome