German Shepherds Forum banner

Are most GSDs like this with kids?

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Jelpy 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Although Ceasar does not seem bothered by the kids (he is panting but it looks like it's hot out)...I would never let a kid be so rough with a dog, just as much as dogs need to be taught to relax around kids, kids need to be taught how to properly handle dogs.

#4 ·
My female long coat 100% YES! She loves kids and will allow my boys and their friends to crawl all over her! She has the patience of a saint! My male stock coat depends. He is great with kids but does not like hugs around the neck he will let it known with a howl of discomfort and walk away. He is never aggressive but has limit to children's or any one's affections in his personal space.

#5 ·
My family had a neutered male GSD who behaved exactly like this with kids. Even then there was one incident where a little girl literally tripped and fell over onto his open mouth and cut her forehead on a tooth. There is a lot that can go wrong in this kind of situation without the dog really being at fault, but they are the one who pays the price.

#8 ·
All of mind are like that with kids. My older femsle(non GSD) will walk away if they are bothering her to much, she is almost 10 so not as interested anymore. I don't allow the kids to do what the kids in this video are doing but I knows they can. In my house the kids don't seek out the dogs the dogs seek out the kids for interaction. I like it that way because it's not unwanted by the dogs. Mine also love sleeping with the kids, the dogs await patiently for the kids to wake up in the morning. Once the dogs know the kids are ready to go the dogs get excited and act like they haven't seen them in months.

#11 ·
He sounded friendly and was making convo. Wouldn't be much of a video if the dog was playing with people it knew. Who couldn't take a video of their dog playing with family members?

You sound judgemental and lack common sense. Btw the video is about the dog. Not the guy.....

#14 ·
Cute kids, beauuuuuuutiful dog!

Fwiw, I think the guy making the video knew the kids, but had them "introduce" themselves for the purposes of the video. I may be wrong, but that was my take on it.

Anywho, my male gsd who passed at 14 years this winter would have allowed this kind of thing. Heck, he loved children and I trusted him with my entire being around them, no matter the situation.
My female, no way, no how. She was dropped in a shelter by her previous owner, pedigree and all, for nipping a child that rode up to her on a bike while she was chained up in a yard in military housing. She didn't hurt the child, but scared him. She was okayed to stay after her quarantine by the MP's, and the family of the kid she nipped was okay with her, but her family didn't want her. We were lucky enough to find her and will never risk her life by allowing her near a child. One nip could mean no forgiveness this time. We don't chance it.

#17 ·
Actually on the same page Was a video of a GSD greeting his military human who'd been deployed. I loved that one. Particularly in the way the GSD was so excited he would bark with his mouth full of tennis balls. LOL.

Jelpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.