German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - What is dignity?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
lalachka
Knighted Member

Default What is dignity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
People get too focused on not giving their animals feelings and emotions. But really, a 13 year old house trained dog knows not to potty inside. When they do because now they're old and have lost sphincter control, they are going to be upset. I know I've seen this in zeke when he's had giardia, couldn't hold it, and had diarrhea in the basement. He was hiding in my room when I came home.

If dogs could comprehend life and death and make that choice, it would be different. But they can't. A sick animal can't comprehend why they're sick or if they're dying or nor. They only live in the moment, and if that moment is not comfortable they should not be forced to endure it, IMHO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

My dog had diarrhea in the house many times. He never hides from me. Every time he went in the house I came up to him and told him that it was OK. I never want him to try to suffer through it and hold it.

So when he does have diarrhea in the house he acts normal.

I don't pretend to know what's in an animal's head. Just sharing my observations. I do think that a sense of dignity is something that dogs can't have.

ETA I probably humanize my dog more than most. So I don't go out of my way to not grant him the ability to have emotions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote