German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Working Prospect question
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
workingk9_Ohio

Default Working Prospect question

Hi there, I am new to the forum and have been offered an amazing opportunity to obtain a GSD. I will start by saying I have never owned a GSD before, however I have owned working, titled, imported Rottweilers so I *am* familiar and comfortable with strong working dogs. I am coming here because although I am familiar with titles, I am not familiar with any lines in the GSD world and would love some honest feedback regarding this bitch I may get. Basic info: She is 21 months old, she's had about 6 months obedience/schutzhund training. She is not titled in any way, basically because she is still quite young. Her owner is rehoming her because he doesn't have time (he's got 9 dogs and is downsizing to 3. He has 2 successful businesses and will be starring in a new reality show on A&E and filming is due to start soon). She is eager to please, prefers women, easily corrected, and good with other dogs. I would be getting her for competition obedience, personal protection, and would probably at least aim for a BH, and perhaps go further depending on us both (I have 3 kids at home, ages 8-17, as well as 4 other dogs so time is at a premium at the moment, but will be easing up in the next couple years as kids move out and we lose our corso who doesn't have a lot of time left due to crippling hip dysplasia). Additionally, I will most likely train her to be my service dog. I work part time from home so even though I do have several dogs, they spend most of each day with us. 2 of the dogs are 4 pound chihuahuas so not really dogs at all ;-)

Anyway, here are links to the bitch's sire and dam. If you know of any good, bad, or indifferent information on the dogs on either side, I would be really grateful. My biggest concerns are: temperament, health & trainability. I need a dog that is athletic, healthy, and that has an OFF switch and can be calm in the house. She will be a house pet first and foremost. I can deal with a dog who may not be *superb* on the field as long as she can be calm and manageable at home.

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments you can provide. I realize that there is no dog bashing allowed, so if you have some negative info to share, please PM the info to me so as not to break forum rules.

Dam:
V Chitty Leryka

Sire:
V Terror von der Staatsmacht

Carey
workingk9_Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote