German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Liver supplement advice needed
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Liver supplement advice needed

Allie, my GSD, has been diagnosed with autoimmune polyarthritis. it was discussed in this thread High fever - no diagnosis

Allie is currently on prednisone - 5 mg in the am and 5 mg in the pm; goal has been to reduce the pred however everytime we take it below this dosage, Allie’s fever goes up and she has significant joint pain. It is only alleviated with a higher dose of pred.

We are now on 10 mg and 10 mg for the next two days, then will try 5 and 5 and but reduce to 5 and 2.5 every other day, i.e. Monday 5 and 5, Tues. 5 and 2.5 and Wed. 5 and 5

My vet wants to give Allie supplements for her liver. She mentioned Marin by Nutramax and one other supplement - cannot recall the name - I think it was SamE. However, Marin has pork in it and Allie is allergic to pork products of any kind. She may have mentioned Denamarin and/or SamE - it may be Denamarin. I will be discussing this with her on Thursday. I did discover that it may only be the chewables that have pork in the tablets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supplements for liver health?

Thank you.
Mary Lou
Murphy, forever in my heart, 11/1/98-10/1/12; his BFF Allie (10 year old GSD) and Ziggy (3 year old mixed Anatolian Shepherd/Lab)
Allie512 is offline   Reply With Quote