German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Liver supplement advice needed
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Allie512

Default Liver supplement advice needed

Allie, my GSD, has been diagnosed with autoimmune polyarthritis. it was discussed in this thread High fever - no diagnosis

Allie is currently on prednisone - 5 mg in the am and 5 mg in the pm; goal has been to reduce the pred however everytime we take it below this dosage, Allie’s fever goes up and she has significant joint pain. It is only alleviated with a higher dose of pred.

We are now on 10 mg and 10 mg for the next two days, then will try 5 and 5 and but reduce to 5 and 2.5 every other day, i.e. Monday 5 and 5, Tues. 5 and 2.5 and Wed. 5 and 5

My vet wants to give Allie supplements for her liver. She mentioned Marin by Nutramax and one other supplement - cannot recall the name - I think it was SamE. However, Marin has pork in it and Allie is allergic to pork products of any kind. She may have mentioned Denamarin and/or SamE - it may be Denamarin. I will be discussing this with her on Thursday. I did discover that it may only be the chewables that have pork in the tablets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for supplements for liver health?

Thank you.