German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

In a bit of a pickle and need some advice badly...

8K views 110 replies 27 participants last post by  JeanKBBMMMAAN 
#1 ·
Okay so, I go on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago and see my old dog Bear on there and the ppl who have him are wanting to give him away due to his aggressiveness. You see I never gave bear away, my ex took him back to the pound without me knowing and I was heartbroken. He's a great dog, just doenst like other animals or children and is IMO a bit racist... But I was very attached to Bear. So I was shocked to see him on Craigslist so I messaged them asking if they still had him and they never responded so I figured they'd already found him a home.. So I talk to a breeder that had some GSD pups and went to see them the other day and found one I liked and put a deposit down on him. And today I check my email and the owner of bear finally emailed me back and asked if I wanted to see him and that they still had him. So idk what to do! Just some feedback would be nice. I wanted another GSD puppy but I loved Bear a ton and I wish I could have both but that could not be possible for me... Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree with taking Bear rather then the pup, you already know him and he's in a greater need of a home then the pup is

#9 ·
I already paid 250 on the puppy in cash... And the live 2 hours away. I mean id love to have bear I just don't know if 3 dogs are a good idea. Bear is a pretty laid back dog, but I have a 5 month old pup now and another puppy plus bear would be a lotttt of work. Would it be terrible to give Heinz away to a good home? And take in bear and the new pup? Idk what to do.

#16 ·
IMO, yes it would be terrible to give up heinz!!! The new puppy is not attached to you, Heinz is! Bear needs your help so he does not end up in a bad home. The money is not important, it sucks to lose your deposit but you have made a commitment to the dogs that are currently in your life. Dogs are not possessions they are living, breathing creatures with real feelings. We are not talking about a pair of jeans, we are talking about a helpless animal who depends on YOU!

#17 ·
I would think about how important Bear is to you before weighing him against a new puppy and losing a deposit. Would you take him back without question if the puppy wasn't a consideration, or is he too much to handle in your current situation? Can you foster him and find a better home? Does he have a bite history?

#18 ·
It's a decision YOU have to live with. Me personally, I'd take Bear back ,

#19 ·
Y'all make me feel like an A hole cause I want a puppy.. You don't understand how long it's been since I've had an actual GSD... Like I've saved up to buy a puppy and now I can! I might ask them if they'd like to have Heinz... Just to see. But yes, Bear has bitten ppl. And I can't take back the deposit for the pup or I'll lose 250 dollars which wouldn't make me happy at all.

#26 ·
The problem is not that you want a puppy!! The problem is you want to discard your current puppy because he doesn't have papers!! If you are not capable of taking Bear contact GSD rescues in your area!!! but a word of caution with a bite history is it going to be impossible to re-home. What can you live with? Are you okay with not giving Bear a safe home? Are you okay with giving up on Heinz? Both of those options are yours. But the third option IMO is best and that is walk away from the pup and take care of the dogs you have now. Pedigree puppies are born everyday and your young and down the road when the time is right you can always get one then. But the decision is 100% yours! Good luck :)

#21 ·
Bear looks like a purebred to me. If you think he'd be a liability, well let him go and get the puppy...Dogs are not disposable like paper plates.

I guess I just get dogs and keep them for life no matter what, but I understand the situation you had with Bear..Not his fault, but again your decision to make.

#24 ·
He's purebred but no papers. I've been wanting a Black and Tan like my old dog Zack, and finally get the chance to get one. I'm sad cause I'm attached to Heinz and I was attached to bear. I'm thinking I should take bear in and try to find him a good home... But being that he's beyond aggressive it'll be a struggle. Be a good time to call the dog whisperer lol

#29 ·
I agree with sunflowers, I would NOT offer Heinz to the people giving away Bear..They obviously can't handle a dog let alone a puppy..Who knows where he would end up.

#30 ·
Wait...Aren't you very young? Still in your teens? I thought you had posted that before.

So some questions...

1) Who owned Bear? Did you ever own him? Or live with him?
2) Are you capable of handling and managing an aggressive dog?
3) Who do you live with right now? Are you still at home with your parents?

I think the idea of rehoming Heinz is terrible. First in - last out in my house.

Who is to say you are the best home for Bear? Or is Bear really your responsibility?

#31 ·
They can't handle him cause he's aggressive! And tbh neither can I! He's a very big dog but obedient just not around dogs or other ppl. He weighs more than I do.... An the ppl obviously want a dog just not one that acts like bear so I will offer Heinz to them and see how they are, if they don't want him I'll keep him. Bear was supposedly a dog in the army. But the owner have him up bc he went away or something across seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.