German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Bringing home puppy advice
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
sarahp

Default Bringing home puppy advice

Hey everybody!
Counting down the days until I get to pick up my boy and bring him home! His 8 week birthday is Fourth of July and I'm going to get him on the fifth. The only drawback is that it's going to be a 6 1/2 to 7 hour car ride. I know it's not the best situation but I am doing everything in my power to make it enjoyable and easy. Thankfully I have a boyfriend who is just as excited about him and is going with me to help drive and watch after the puppy. I'm looking for advice on a few things, as this is my first large breed puppy i've had solely in my care.

I realize I need some form of a crate for transport. The problem though is that my car is a 4 door sedan that is designed as more of a sportscar so there is comfortable room in the back seats but it's not anywhere near big enough for a crate that I will be able to use past the first month or so home. My question is what type of crate would be best? I've looked into soft sided ones as well as kennels and what size would be ample enough to keep him comfortable? Not looking to spend a lot as it would be temporary but willing to do what I need to do to get the best for him.

I will have a towel and stuffed animal that has been around mom and litter mates that will come home with us to help him settle in. I've heard good things about the puppy buddy stuffed animals that can be heated with the heartbeat sound but would a ticking clock be okay too, or is that even needed?

I have already packed a travel kit with LOTS of cheap towels, paper towels and water bottles. I've bought a leash and collar for him, with name tag all ready to go! Is there any other travel advice anyone could offer? Should I bring a toy too? I've done my best to fish through a good portion of the puppy threads and have gathered lots of fantastic advice! Thankful to have found this site as early as I did!
Thanks!

Last edited by sarahp; 06-17-2014 at 02:28 AM.
sarahp is offline   Reply With Quote