German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Hi Everyone!
Thread: Hi Everyone!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
zoey's mom

Default Hi Everyone!

So its been awhile since I've posted. So I thought I would give an update. Zoey is doing wonderful! She started a reading program at our library. She goes every Tuesday the kids absolutely adore her. And my usually high strung girl switches to a calm focused dog as soon as we walk in the door. I couldn't be more proud of her!
As many of you know I have another German Shepherd, Tucker. I had to re homed him to a wonderful family it was a couple in their early 50's who had had German Shepherds for a long time after many home visits and quite a few times of them coming over here he went to live with them. He was there for about 6 months and I was in constant contact with them. in February he actually came to stay with me for 2 weeks while they went on vacation. I did notice than that he was a little overweight and he wasn't responding to his obedience commands very quickly. So while he was here I worked with him and when they came to pick him up he was pretty much back to where he needed to be on his obedience. I told them that it was very important that they keep up with his obedience and keep up with a strong leadership . And they told me that they would. we talked weekly for about another 2 months. Since things seem to be going well I told them that we could stop talking and they call me if they needed me . I didn't hear from them for about 3 months . 3 weeks ago I got a phone call asking if I could take tucker back they said that they could no longer handle him and that he had gone after three of their neighbors. Tucker actually bit these three neighbors luckily he did not break skin he just left some not so pretty bruises and one ripped coat. I had always told them that I would take him back or help in any way that I could. So they brought him to me that day . Tucker is also doing good . He was almost 30 pounds overweight so we are working on getting him back in shape. I work daily on his obedience and within a week he had snapped back into a following mode. I can have anybody coming to my house and he knows that I am in control and he has become a very good dog. My husband and I talked and we have decided that tucker does not need re homed again. He is the same age as Zoey well actually he is 4 months older. The poor dog is 4 years old and has been in five homes! Enough is enough he is just staying with us from now on. We went camping this weekend down at our quarry. It is 40 acres of woods and a huge pond. We have a small camper that we use when we go down there. We brought all four dogs. For Tucker this is the first time he's been down there. We had some friends with us down there and tucker did wonderful! I don't think he's ever been able to experience anything like that before. He didn't know how to swim or maybe he just didn't know that he could! Because I actually got him to follow in swim a little. But he did love the water! He got to explore and just be a dog. He didn't have to be on a leash and yet he still listened to all of the commands I gave him and was friendly with everybody. I was very proud of him! By the time we came home he was the most exhausted dog. Well that is my update. I hope everyone has a good night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
zoey's mom is offline   Reply With Quote