German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Spiral Fracture in Femur in my 10 mo. old- NEED ADVICE!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
lauren.theos

Default Spiral Fracture in Femur in my 10 mo. old- NEED ADVICE!

I need some answers and advice.
My 10 month old German Shepherd broke his femur when he was playing ball. We took him to the vet and found out that he has a spiral fracture. We had surgery done and they put in a plate and screws. Directly after the surgery he wanted to use it as normal and used it about 75% of the time. About a week and a half after surgery her started limping worse and not using it. Now he will put some weight on it but not much. It's been almost 4 weeks since his surgery. I called the vet today and had to speak to a vet tech. She says that if he's at least using it a little bit it is unnecessary to bring him in. I don't know if I trust her judgement because she tried telling me that he doesn't have screws in. (How the **** could he not have screws in if he has a plate?!) and the vet that did his surgery directly told me that he has screws. I'm just torn, the vet is an hour away and I haven't had a day off work to take him. I just am wondering if it's worth it to take him all the way out there to have them say that it is normal behavior with this kind of injury. Does anyone have any insight, stories that relate, advice? Please!
lauren.theos is offline   Reply With Quote