German Shepherds Forum banner

Feeding her too much?

955 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mamajag 
#1 ·
Up until a couple of days ago Gretchen was very food motivated with training. Now she couldn't care less. Vet suggested feeding her a little less in the morning so she's more motivated by the treats and actually measuring out her food and to just feed a little extra in the evening to compensate. Is this wise? I've been out of the house the last 2 mornings so my daughter's fed her. Could it really be she simply pigged out and wasn't hungry?

I hope it's really that simple. It's frustrating the heck out of me and she's not wanting to do obedience work because she's not interested in the treats. That's generally what calms her crazy self down and keeps her from chasing the cats...

#3 ·
Talking through the situation with another member in PMs I figured out the problem. I didn't realize the scoop I had in the dog food was a half cup scoop instead of the full cup scoop I thought I'd put in there. I told my daughter to feed 2 cups, so she fed 4 scoops...twice what Gretchen normally eats. Mystery solved!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.