German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Sit Means Sit training/collar
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Germanshepherdlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo220 View Post
Yes. I used them. I would recommend them if anyone was insistent on e-collar training. It was a last resort for me. I tried to exhaust other options first. But it's an effective training tool as long as it's not abused. Meaning, do exactly what the trainer says. No exceptions. Ask questions.

It's an individual choice for the owner. Every dog is different. Yours may not even need this tool. I don't know, as I don't know your situation. I would not let others feelings persuade your decision as this topic gets very spirited on this board. You have to do what fits your situation.

As far as Sit Means Sit goes, my trainer was very good at teaching us and the dog. I have a very hard dog. Positive training did not have the desired effect. So we went with Sit Means Sit. I am also going to sign up for the lifetime sessions also. Just to make sure I have an outside view making sure I am not making mistakes. Only fair to the dog if your going to use this tool. I have seen no downsides to this method with my dog. But again, that is my dog. Just follow what the trainer says to the letter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you for your feedback. I have a hard dog, and I have a ton of trouble getting his focus. The trainer said we would be using the collar like a tap on the shoulder to get his focus. I have been using positive methods for months. My dog can do all kinds of things, but he can't focus outside and around other dogs. No amount of treats or toys can get his focus. I want to be able to walk him with out him dragging me randomly or lunging toward people for pets. I also want him to be off of the leash. I have been working on this for months. He can be super off of the leash, but he will also run off and he knows I can't get to him then.

He said the tap on the collar should be associated with something positive like a treat or toy. That is just a tap to get their attention on you.

I just want to be able to have fun with my dog and not worry about him being naughty or not listening. I train with him every day and put so much work in. That being said,I don't want to be mean to him either.
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote