German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Selecting for or against traits when breeding
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
hunterisgreat
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
In light of some of the posts in the "Breeding dogs with problems" thread, I thought this would be interesting... Just quote me and answer in the quote :-)

What are genetic qualities/characteristics (be they positive or negative) that are very hard to maintain in a breeding program. In other words, genetic qualities/characteristics that are very easily lost if not carefully maintained in each mated pairing?

Strong nerves and high aggression in combination. Seems to be easier to get high aggression dogs, but with the coupled nerve strength it seems a much rarer animal

What are genetic qualities/characteristics (be they positive or negative) that are very easy to maintain in a breeding program. In other words, genetic qualities/characteristics that are very difficult to breed away from if not carefully selected against in each mated pairing?

Clearly DM, and elbow/hip issues. Crazy drive seems easy enough to maintain.
I'm speculating based on what I *SEE* in the various dogs that cross my path, interaction with breeders, etc.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote