German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New GSD owner (just adopted a 1 yr old GSD)
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
joneser

Default New GSD owner (just adopted a 1 yr old GSD)

Hi all
Recently joined the forum after adopting a 1 year old male from a teenager who didn't have time for him. A coworker has his littermate so had info on the breeder, temperament, etc. He is fantastic, I've renamed him Jericho.
I'm new to the breed, but had a great dane for 9 years who I lost last Aug, and a mutt for 11 years who I lost suddenly on 5/2. Jericho was kind of a shock to say the least. I got him on Memorial Day, and I think we're just struggling to connect right now. He came from a farm life, in a 5x10 pen outside in the yard by himself all the time.
Things I'm not used to:
-he doesn't cuddle, would prefer to lay on the floor in the dining room while i'm in the living room. (unless it's nighttime, then he wakes me up every 3 hours for me to pet him and he goes right back to sleep)
-i can't figure out what he wants to chew. doesn't get excited for frozen marrow bones or cow knuckles, just peanut butter frozen in kongs.
-he just chewed through a brand new Noz2Noz nylon crate...

So far it's been 2 weeks, $800, and I'm just hoping it gets better. It's not terrible...but since we're not "connected" yet there's no real payoff yet...
Attached Thumbnails
New GSD owner (just adopted a 1 yr old GSD)-img_1207.jpg  

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 06-12-2014 at 12:02 PM.
joneser is offline   Reply With Quote