German Shepherds Forum banner

Eko broke a window!!!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Blanketback 
#1 ·
I was asleep when it happened, Eko was out with my boyfriend, so I don't know all the details but... Basically, Eko was in the guest bedroom, saw my neighbor's dog outside through the window, started scratching and pawing at it while he barked and snarled (the other dog was barking at him too). The window shattered, it scared him, and he bolted out of the room. We have been doing so well with working on his DA... Very disappointed with him.

Also, he is ok, no cuts from the glass. I checked his paws and legs for any cuts, none I could see and no blood anywhere.

#2 ·
Wow, that could have turned out bad. My GSD went through one of the window panes in the garage door, suspected the mailman was cutting between the garage door and car. He was not as lucky and required some medical attention. You're lucky this time.

You really need to work on his reacting to the neighbors dog. It could happen again.

#3 ·
Yes, I know :( I was told about some film I could put over the windows he likes to look out of in the meantime that let light in but he wouldn't be able to see anything outside very clearly. His nemesis is my neighbor's female GSD that is just as reactive as he is, the second they see each other they both go insane. The neighbor and I are not on great terms, I just try to get him to focus in me when we pass by them but when her dog is making a huge scene too it's hard for me to compete.

#4 ·
If you have a Menard's/Home Depot/Lowe's near you, they should have the film for your window that you described. I bought mine at Menard's, and they do have a selection of different patterns. Look at them closely before you buy--some of them are still too transparent. They do work--I have a very DA girl who still is not trustworthy at windows when she can see other dogs outside, and it seems like everyone within half a mile has a dog, and they all walk past my house, LOL! The film does help, although I caught her the other day at a big window in the breezeway, standing on her hind feet like a poodle to look above the film--I hadn't covered the whole window!

Susan

#5 ·
Thanks Susan! I have a Lowe's and a Menard's near me, I will be going there today :) The windows I need to cover aren't that big so I will just cover the whole thing. Your story made me laugh, thinking of a GSD on their hind legs looking over the film lol!

#6 · (Edited)
Eko has broken another window... I can't believe it. This one in our bedroom. We have film on all of our windows, you can see shapes and colors, not much else. I just had the other window replaced!

He was in the bedroom because a guest had just come over and for their safety we put him in the bedroom to calm down for a few minutes like we always do. I was just going to let him right back out so I didn't crate him. All of a sudden I hear the neighbor's dog barking right in front of our house (right in front of the bedroom window) and the neighbor yelling NO at her dog. Eko started barking and I was walking to the bedroom saying NO when I heard glass breaking and my neighbor scream. She was not hurt in any way, I made sure of that, she was just startled. Eko was somehow not hurt either, I think because this window didn't break as bad as the other one. The window wasn't shattered like the last one, but it was cracked all along the bottom and a large chunk is missing now. Thankfully we have a storm window that we can use to cover it until it's fixed. Everyone is very upset with him :( I know that it's my fault, though. He should have been in his crate.

Edit - I forgot to add that I asked my neighbor once I made sure she was okay if the dogs had seen each other. She said no, her dog had been barking at my cat who was sitting on my porch. They were directly under the window and once Eko heard her GSD he went crazy.

#8 ·
It is very upsetting and really didn't help the bad relationship I already have with this neighbor. It's mostly over the dogs because Eko tried to attack her off-leash doxie after he ran up to us. I did ask if maybe she would like to try and help both of our GSDs not be so reactive to each other and she said she'd have to think about it, that she was too upset at the moment. I hope that maybe after a day or two and she calms down that she'll decide to work with me.

#9 ·
That sucks! I knew someone who also had a dog who'd go through windows. They couldn't ever trust him not to, and I guess that's where you are now. One of mine went through a screen once, but luckily he went through the first floor, into our fenced back yard. Crazy dogs. At least now you know, and you have a crate, so you can prevent it from ever happening again.

I don't understand why your neighbor would be upset with you, if it was her dog running up to yours. You said "tried to attack" so that means there wasn't any actual attacking going on. People need to control their own dogs, and if they're running around and they get into trouble for doing it, people need to be accountable for it. It's unfortunate that you're not getting along because of this, but if her dog got hit by a car instead, then I guess she'd just blame the driver? That's ridiculous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.