German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Need a little advice... GSD with possible DM
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Coleb13

Default Need a little advice... GSD with possible DM

hey everyone. first time poster here.. i think.... well i will start out with my dog Marley. She is a little over 10. She had some trouble with her left leg yesterday. Was dragging her knuckle like the nerves were completely shot. after seeing the vet and doing some research i have come up with the symptoms being exactly what degenerative myelopathy. Basically a hereditary disease her parents must of had. There is no cure. the positives are that she's in no pain. The negatives are that its only going to get worse. Just don't know how long it will take. Anyone dealt with this? The neurologist wants 2500.00 for an MRI but i seems like i would be paying that to tell me what i know. She can still get around but drags her foot. I have bought her boots and a harness. My other issue is my wife and I have a one year anniversary trip overseas in 3 weeks. I would be heartbroken if something happened while i was gone. I am going to board her at the vet probably but she has never been boarded in her life. and lastly, my new job has me traveling overseas twice in the 3 times in the next 3 months. I'm so torn. Any advice? Im sorry for such a long post jut looking for some examples and advice. Ive never had to deal with an older dog and possibility of losing one. thanks in advance.
Coleb13 is offline   Reply With Quote