German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Two year roller coaster - now bloat??
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
hunterisgreat
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajoe View Post
Our dog has been up and down for the last two years with her liver problems. We've had her on all sorts of supplements, and now she's on a maintenance dose of prednisone (in addition to the S-adenosyl and milk thistle), as she kept getting skin infections, and the pads of her feet were splitting open. Vets believe it's all related to the liver.

Last week she stopped eating. This has happened many times before over the last few years. Sometimes a food change works (although that's a bit risky, as her system doesn't always handle it well). Sometimes some broth or meat mixed in. I didn't think much of it, gave her a couple days, and started mixing some beef with it and she's eaten the last few days.

Then my wife noticed a lot of swelling of her abdomen, and a little more trouble walking than normal. She got worried this morning, so I said maybe it's time for a trip back to the vet. I thought about bloat, but anytime I've ever heard of it it seemed like a pretty sudden thing, and I've always thought that they deteriorated pretty fast.

Reading up on it, I guess that's not necessarily the case. I think I've convinced myself that bloat will be the prognosis, but waiting to hear back from the vet after the xray. Of course, then I read about the different forms, and can only hope that we have a chance to treat it with a minimally invasive procedure. She's about 10 years old, and I really don't want to talk about surgery. She's been through so much.
Bloats pretty scary. Follow the vets advice. 10 is up there... I'd have difficult decisions to make if there was any damaged tissue at all :-(

Sincerely wish you the best of luck!
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote