German Shepherds Forum banner

Halton police dog that bit girl being assessed

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bill 
#1 ·
News story from my region..

Halton police dog that bit girl being assessed

Hoping that this dog isn't put down. From what I understand of police K9s in Canada and US, that they aren't allowed to interact with people other than their family while off-duty. This is a Czech-bred GSD that was recently acquired by our PD. Another K9 that bit his handler here was put down. Really saddens me, as I believe that having a high drive working dog under one's care is a big responsibility. Maybe it was a freak accident, but it was preventable.

#3 ·
I have a problem with the fact that the dog went for the face...that's usually a bad sign from what I've read. If the dog just nips at a hand, a leg, its one thing. But a face bite (even though it's the thing right in front of a dog), is way too close to the neck and does smell of a "kill bite."

I've also met my city's K9 officer plenty of times as he's my neighbor, and the dog can interact with people when "off-duty." He's never met my male, but has met my female.

#5 ·
Well I would like to know what the pros think?

Cause to me it sounds like good dogs are paying the price because of poor management skills on the part of the handlers!!

Dog came up the leash? yeah it happens, man up or get a new assignment! Kinda what you signed up for...it could happen!

And dog bites girl in face WTH! Aren't you "suppose" to have a higher level of skill than JQP? More dog, more responsibility...I thought they went hand in hand??

Now the dogs are paying the price? Maybe more Police departments should switch to using King Sheppard's and Shilos? Maybe that's more there speed. Just sucks!

Maybe start another stat, if your department has to put down more than x number of K9's over X number of months. "NO" you can't have a K9 unit!!!!!!!!!!

My two cents.

#9 ·
I agree. I am wondering how the girl got close enough for the K9 to bite her face. Sounds to me like a case of handler responsibility. Our K9 is always kenneled or on leash, separated from children not from his family. Such a shame, seems like a nice dog.

Report (local comedian...) on local police dogs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeDXiS8Yeho

Notice the lack of out.. hmm.

#6 ·
Hard to say whether euthanasia is called for without more info. I don't know about a face bite being evidence of any intent to kill. It makes me think of the video of the reporter that leaned over the k9 and got bit in the face. But again, hard to tell without knowing circumstances.

#7 ·
Some of them just arent social..with anyone..doesnt mean they are crappers per say.

Then again seeing first hand the people some of the local PDs get dogs from and the quality of said animals..its not all that surprising.

You would think it wouldnt cost to much to hire a training consultant for evaluations and training..

#8 ·
Certainly not a pro.

Been to a demo done at a GSDCNO show presentation for Hero dogs where the K-9 handler doing the talking definitely said the dogs are trained to go for the extremities.

If this is true, a bite to the face on a child is disturbing. The dogs trained for this sort of work need to have solid nerves, and be able to work on lead and off lead. If they are going to bite a child like that... I don't know. I suppose they will assess the dog. If this same dog bites another child, possibly disfigures a child, what do you say to the parent? "Yes, we knew the dog did this before, but..." It not only sounds like a lawsuit in the making, but it sounds like the best way to turn off the community on the program. And a lot of programs survive only because of support of the community.

#13 ·
Blitzkrieg "Then again seeing first hand the people some of the local PDs get dogs from and the quality of said animals..its not all that surprising"

how is he seeing first hand -- what does he know about "some" of the local PD's -- that was just snide .

these dogs were imports from the brokerage system , Czech and Dutch breeders .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.