German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - The Garden Thread - for our veggie gardens?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
jocoyn
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default The Garden Thread - for our veggie gardens?

Carmen:

I'm getting ready to set out a garden of heirloom vegetables . While checking out companion planting I found this -- "ridiculous" fact - come on now -- put the dogs to shame already , why don't you
"Carrot root fly can smell carrots from up to a mile away."

Do we stand a chance.

How do you even imagine this ability . "We" as humans are so handicapped , if it weren't for our brains .

garden thread anyone ?

Susan:

That is amazing! And the gardeners' annual battle begins!

I just put out some heirloom tomatoes, I can't remember the name and the tag is out in the garden with the plants, lol, but I am looking forward to them. They are mostly orange striped with red, size and consistency of a beefsteak, but low acid, sweet taste. Been looking for low acid tomatoes for my sister's sake.

Perhaps a gardening thread would be great! And I would tell the stories of my tomato-eating GSDs and GSDxs, the rascals!

Nancy:

I would be up for a garden thread in chat. We have built some awesome raised beds this year and are doing a combination of Huglekultur and Square Foot Gardening. I am a bit late getting out my plants but we have a long growing season.

Carmen:

garden thread , me too , just came in from the rain (while dogs having a free romp) .
I was spreading Jersey Green Sand and Volcanic Ash from a northern Ontario pre-glacial long extinct volcano !!! has micro minerals "rare earth" (different category).
http://www.victorysoil.com/pages/frontpage Minerals make such a huge difference for the plant, for the taste , for the nutritional value , for the the plants' resistance to bugs and other threats . Two years ago I grew chard . One leaf was enough for a family of four that loves chard. I had so much crop that I brought a leaf for each of my "market" friends . We fooled around using them as palm fronds to fan each other .
I had a bird of paradise plant that I started outdoors . Year two transplanted it . Year three transplanted. Year four it was 10 feet tall, took over my two storey sun room -- looked outstanding but took up too much room . Offered it to friends - no room --- offered it to a set-wrangler for movies (there is a greenhouse due north which does exactly this) --- they didn't have the need - so poor plant was left outside , and being tropical ......

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote