German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - How much does socialization and outside time matter before 8 weeks??
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
selzer
Crowned Member

Litters born in December may not go outside at all in their first 8 weeks. Too cold. And if they do go outside, they will not be on grass but on snow. At least, up here they will be. Somehow pups from these litters manage ok.

For the first couple of weeks, eyes and ears aren't open, or are not yet able to see well enough yet, and it really doesn't matter. They wriggle to mom and eat and poop. From 3-8 weeks, they can walk and see and play with their littermates. They learn a lot from their littermates, and they become accustomed to typical sights and sounds. If they spend a lot of time inside, they are unlikely to be weirded out by common inside noises, like the television, radio, washer, toilet, etc.

There are a lot of differences puppies have to manage when they go from the breeder's situation to their new owner's situation. Different voices, different hands, different smells, and the lack of their littermates and dam are the big ones. But they also may have to learn to navigate stairs, to wait to go potty, to be in a crate, a new yard, etc.

I really don't think a dog with decent nerves will be unable to cope with the sights and sounds inside a home if you bring it home and inside right at eight weeks old.

My pups never set food on carpet. I have carpet in my living room, but I carry them outside (usually as a group), and their inside area is not carpeted. I am sure puppies and the pups that I keep have had no trouble whatsoever adjusting to carpet after 8 weeks without ever experiencing it.

If you trust both breeders, go with the one that makes the best sense, and do not worry about it. If someone is doing a LOT of specific socialization with their pups, it can be the total opposite, those dogs might NEED that where the other dogs might have overall stronger nerves and not need all that extra socialization.

In the end, the dog is what it is genetically. The dam imprints the puppy. Early socialization experiences can give a pup a leg up to reach the potential that his genetics allow. But a dog with good character will be fine even if it is raised in a kennel atmosphere.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote