German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Protecting Puppy Paws
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mister C
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I probably wouldn't bother. If it's really that hot on the asphalt it's probably too hot to be walking that time of day on that surface. Boots need to fit right and be balanced (both feet or all four) and with the rate puppies grow that's going to be a lot of boots, plus acclimating to them. I've heard of people using them in the winter in areas that get tons of ice melt/salt, but only in problem areas or on dogs that already have issues (some dogs seem to have tougher feet than others).
I agree.

I used booties for my old girl to protect her feet. She had severe HD and dragged her back left foot causing injury and bleeding. It took a while to get her acclimated to them even though she was very tolerant of things like that.

I would be surprised if a puppy would tolerate them. I can imagine a lot of bootie biting (the shoes, not the...umm...bootay). Also, pups are not the most coordinated animals--being a baby and all--so he might get tripped up and fall with them on.

My suggestion is to walk early in the morning or after sundown when it is cooler.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote