German Shepherds Forum banner

Buzz - 10 Months wont stop destructng my house

899 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LoveEcho 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My boy Buzz is a loving big pup. Over the last 4 weeks he has started to become very destructive in the house so far my banister, table, kitchen chair, radiator pipe and his own leads have been chewed. I know he must be teething but I dont know how to stop him from chewing everything in sight. My partner and I both work but my sister in law comes down a few times a day to see him. We crate trained Buzz and he has his crate open for him to go into but we give him access to the Kitchen and downstairs hall. I feel like we are going backwards instead of forwards with him. I have bought him loads of chew toys and bones etc but he seems to go for everything else :( Starting to get frustrating. I was hoping to move house but this has honestly put me off until hes past this stage.

Buzz's behaviour other than this is brilliant he is fantastic with my 4 year old and we take him down to our local park / beach most nights as there are about 5 other german sheperds that we meet there and he plays great with them.

#2 ·
Delgado finally earned being out of the crate entirely at 2 years old, he was fine for short periods but if he got bored he'd get into trouble. Some dogs just take longer then others, I would crate him when you're not home for a while longer then try again later. The chances of a blockage or other medical complication is too high with a destructive dog being left alone, it's not worth it to have that little bit of freedom

#7 ·
Any time they start getting destructive again ("relapses" do happen, especially now that he's hitting the 'butthead teenager phase'), back in the crate they go for a while. I didn't trust my male completely until he was around two. I didn't want to risk it.

#5 ·
Willow is 14 months old, she still can not be trusted alone in the house. She doesn't counter surf or chew up furniture. But when she gets bored she will take mail and shred it, pull around the living room rug (along with the furniture that is on the rug) she is very strong, chase the cat and bother our 8 year old black lab. She is in the crate when we cannot watch her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.