German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Housebreaking is breaking my heart!
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Markes

Default Housebreaking is breaking my heart!

Hey all,
My expectations may be too high... Dakota, my 12 wk old GSD hasn't had a very good day. It'sbeen about the worst of the housebreaking.

The great thing is since the day we got her at 8 weeks she sleeps through the night in her crate... never had an accident so I know she can hold it.

We've been johnny on the spot with housebreaking. We have a crate and then a little playpen around it. We started taking her out every 20 mins, then did it after eating, exercise, nap, etc. After an accident we clean, de-scent, enzyme, etc. Just like I've been reading about on the forums.

Now we take her out about every hour.

But she just doesn't get it. She goes outside, I think, because we always get her out in time. Lately the accidents have been increasing. How can she realize going inside is wrong if we always get her outside? Now it's like she's intentionally marking her territory inside.

2 days ago I brought her inside after peeing, took her crate mattress downstairs to the laundry. When I came upstairs she had pooped in her crate.

Today she's had 4 accidents in 3 hours. Some within 10 minutes of us taking her outside and watching her pee. One time she peed 2x while outside, came inside and 20 mins. later peed again on the floor in her playpen.

Any tips/advice? I don't see how she can hold it for 8 hours at night but can't hold it for 20 minutes during the day.

Last edited by Markes; 05-27-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Markes is offline   Reply With Quote