German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Introducing a new puppy to a 9 month puppy!
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
GermanShepParents

Default Introducing a new puppy to a 9 month puppy!

My 9 month old German Shepherd has gotten a cousin, A pug 3 months old named Lexi. It is my sisters dog so its harder for me to be in control of the pug and set boundaries and rules.

When we first brought home the pug, Gemma sniffed around and started barking. We knew this would happen as its been Gemma's domain for 7 months. We would let Gemma meet with Lexi everyday for about an hour. Gemma is most of the time okay and will just smell the dog, nibble a little on the ears and I believe she just wants to play as she uses her paws at times (unless this is a sign of control) We bring both dogs outside to play together which they are perfectly fine doing. It has been a week since we got the pug and I know it is going to take time. The problems I am having are : 1. Gemma who is house trained, has now pee and pooped again in the house(I don't know if she is marking her territory or if its just a behaviour she is acting out) 2. Gemma takes all of the pugs toys and will eat her food, but not her own(same food but one for small dogs and one for large breed) I have put there bowls in the same room hoping that may help but Gemma still went and ate lexi's (which is a sign of dominance to me in the sense that EVERYTHING has to be her's.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing a new puppy to a 9 month puppy!-sam_6130.jpg  
GermanShepParents is offline   Reply With Quote