German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Help Needed with Noise Phobia
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
fuzzybunny
Knighted Member

Default Help Needed with Noise Phobia

My 4.5 year old male Shiloh Shepherd has always had a fear of thunder and fireworks. Recently I would say this has evolved into a phobia and is becoming problematic as it's disrupting his everyday well-being. His fear has now evolved to the point where similar sounds or events set him off into a panic. He's now nervous on an overcast day. Hearing the rain outside sets him off. I've had to return home from walking them 2 times in the past 3 days because something outside caused him to go into a panic state.

The fear escalation occurred about 2 weeks ago. We had a few days straight of storming and people in the neighbourhood were setting fireworks off leading up to our holiday weekend (Canadian holiday weekend was the weekend before the American May 24 weekend). He has not recovered from this.

I've tried everything with the exception of trying to desensitize him and prescription meds. If anyone knows of a good resource that describes in detail how to desensitize him to this it would be much appreciated.

I would also like to know if there are prescribed drugs that are effective in dealing with this in the meantime while I work with him. I'm extremely concerned about July 1st Canada Day since people will be setting off fireworks for 4-5 days straight in the evenings. I'm in an apartment so I'm limited in creating a safe haven and blocking out sound. He retreats to the bathtub where he rides it out.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.