German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - behavior issues with a 7 month old
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
llombardo
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferebooted View Post
Yes she has a crate and she loves it. I do not use the crate to punish her ever, she sleeps in it at night and during the day when I have to go to the store or mow the lawn. Last time I let her off leash in the house she was trying to play with my 10 year old 40lb mix, put her pawn down hard between her shoulder blades causing a pinched nerve =\ That doggy was in so much pain for days. The leash has mainly been to protect the other dogs and her since she tries to eat power cords still.

And yes I'm going to try to get her into more training classes. I'm looking for a different trainer who is more custom to GSDs. My last trainer kept telling me to spray her with lemon juice which I found cruel. She also would hang her by the prong collar while she cried and told me it was just "her acting and trying to manipulate me." While I love Cesar Millan she was trying to copy him in all her training no matter the breed or the problem.
Yes find a new trainer. There is nothing wrong with her being in a crate for short periods while you are home. Is there an area in the house where you can put up a gate and let her have free reign while you are there and watching her? She is a puppy and wants to play, I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt the other dog. Do you keep her on a leash and the other dogs are around or in the same room?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote