German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My DDR/Czech GSD was chased off by a deer.
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shade
Crowned Member

A startle reflex is instinctive, just like when a human jumps if someone pops a balloon behind the head most times. It's how fast they bounce back that really shows their nerves, but even then there are certain weaknesses that may or may not be overcome. Your dog may be the complete opposite if the same scenario happens tonight, or he may be leery around deer for the rest of his life. Either way, it's part of who he is for better or worse

I've never seen Delgado scared of anything, but last week we had a major thunderstorm and while both dogs were outside there was a loud BOOM that literally shook the house and scared the bejeebus out of me. Both dogs hightailed it back into the house in a flash, but two seconds later Delgado was back at the door wanting to go back outside again. Just because they are startled doesn't mean they are weak nerved. This is the same dog that sat through a Canada Day fireworks show at 5 months old and ended up dozing through part of it! The noise caught him offguard, that's all

BTW - Delgado is DDR/Czech/WG working line

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010