German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Need some crate help
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shade
Crowned Member

I agree with Courtney, I'm a light sleeper so Delgado learned in the first few days that if he whimpered it would wake me up and I would immediately take him outside. Everything was at the foot of the bed so I would just scoop him up, take him out on a leash and once he did his business he was picked up again and placed back in the crate. No talking or fuss, just out and then in. Some times he would go out twice in an hour, sometimes it was 6 hours before he asked to go out.

Some nights he went out only once, others he might be out 3 times. I just went with what he needed that night. One thing I found that helped was always making sure he had a good run before bed and a long bathroom break, then a small treat and tiny drink of water and it was bedtime. He was tired, not hungry or thirsty, and did his business so very quickly we were down to maybe one trip per night and then he was sleeping through the night each time

Oh and the crate I bought was missing the divider, I simply made a homemade one. You can use either metal or wood (pretty much anything that they won't chew easily) to block off a portion of the crate

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote